• Author
      Ed
        • Wales, UK
        • Topics: 591
        • Comments: 2564
        • Total: 3155
        • Administrator of NakedExperiment Community
        @ed

I’ve been chatting with a couple of the new members on Skype and it seems the site is still too large and complicated.

If you had to trim one section/feature of the site, what would you say should go?

John
          • Cheshire, England
          • Topics: 13
          • Comments: 272
          • Total: 285
          • Ace Poster
          • Verified as Male
          @seasider

You could merge the forum down to one section, we only rend to discuss 4 or 5 things at a time.

Matt and Ed like this

Ed
              • Wales, UK
              @ed

I’ve already cut the forums by well over 50%.

“Nudity-Related Events” doesn’t get a great deal of activity so maybe I should merge it into the “Experiments & Reports” forum?

Matt likes this

Ed
                • Wales, UK
                @ed

The forum has to be more than one section unless I get rid of the Community Supporters’ forum completely and I’m reluctant to do that.

MissJD
                • UK
                • Topics: 0
                • Comments: 26
                • Total: 26
                • Experienced Poster
                @missjd

Personally I don’t browse the forums as such for older topics, but I keep an eye on the ‘Latest Activity’ section. I really should have a good look through all the different sub-forums as well.

John, Paul, Matt and 1 more person like this

Ed
                  • Wales, UK
                  @ed

I think the “Latest Activity” pane was a most worthwhile addition to the layout.

Gary, John and Matt like this

John
                    • Cheshire, England
                    • Ace Poster
                    • Verified as Male
                    @seasider

I definitely visit more because I can check for current threads in one place

Gary, MissJD, Ed and 1 more person like this

Ed
                        • Wales, UK
                        @ed

That is great to hear. Definitely pleased I added it.

MissJD likes this

Ed
                        • Wales, UK
                        @ed

I’m not hearing too much in the way of strong feelings on this subject. I will look at reducing the forums a little and simplifying things, where I can, but it will be a gradual change – nothing drastic.

Gary likes this

Ed
                          • Wales, UK
                          @ed

I won’t be able to do anything for a couple of weeks (life is too busy) but I’m going to look at expanding the stuff in the Community Supporter area. We’re down to 4 supporters which is not enough to keep the site going.

Ed
                            • Wales, UK
                            @ed

Hypothetically speaking, if you could redesign this site from scratch (not talking about colour schemes, fonts etc.), what would you do differently?

I said after the last big revamp that I wouldn’t be doing it again, so I’m not promising anything, but with the right inspiration, who knows?

Ed
                                • Wales, UK
                                @ed

Hmmm, that didn’t stir up any interest…

Matt
                                • Wales
                                • Topics: 3
                                • Comments: 58
                                • Total: 61
                                • Experienced Poster
                                @kermie74

The site feels very busy and it is not always clear what to post where. Maybe making the home page more of an informational hub, like the latest activity section but bigger. Each box would have a big and bold title with the latest news in that section and a description of what to expect.

The Blogs section currently is a bit sparse, as in big images means less content on page, could you have smaller placeholder thumbnail images/links to videos etc and fit more on one page, reducing the need for the previous posts button? We also need this page to be a ‘not just Ed’ section…,.

Forums could be just one link from main page which then breaks up into sections;

Welcome

• new member intro and chat
                                • Website chat. updates/bugs. and suggestions

General 

• Community chat and news
                                • Members
                                • Articles – this should be moved here as doesn’t need its own main tab.

Naked Events

• Dares section
                                • Vote Offs
                                • Experiments

Don’t need naked participation section as this can be captured here.

The more tab could with be incorporated into the forum section or left.

hope that makes sense….

Ed likes this

Ed
                                    • Wales, UK
                                    @ed

The site feels very busy and it is not always clear what to post where.

That’s what I’d like to fix.

Maybe making the home page more of an informational hub, like the latest activity section but bigger. Each box would have a big and bold title with the latest news in that section and a description of what to expect.

I like that idea. Currently the blog is the main page (the entry page into the site) and, when you log in, it jumps you to the forum. Having more of an introductory page is a good idea. I don’t know any way of adapting the script to display live updates of the latest posts in each section.

The Blogs section currently is a bit sparse, as in big images means less content on page, could you have smaller placeholder thumbnail images/links to videos etc and fit more on one page, reducing the need for the previous posts button? We also need this page to be a ‘not just Ed’ section…,.

That can be done with photos, but not videos. Videos reduce to just the text above/below the video and most of the videos are posted without text descriptions. I’m not giving other people permission to post, I’ve burnt my fingers far too many times on that one.

Forums could be just one link from main page which then breaks up into sections;

The forums is just one link from the main page?

Welcome

General 

• Members

Naked Events

• Dares section
                                    • Vote Offs
                                    • Experiments

Is this a layout for the forums or the menus? “Members” and “Articles” are menu options, not forums. Also I have to include “Help” in the forum section.

I added a “Naked Participation” section as people kept complaining that they couldn’t find it…

Matt
                                        • Wales
                                        • Topics: 3
                                        • Comments: 58
                                        • Total: 61
                                        • Experienced Poster
                                        @kermie74

the site feels very busy and it is not always clear what to post where.

That’s what I’d like to fix.

Maybe making the home page more of an informational hub, like the latest activity section but bigger. Each box would have a big and bold title with the latest news in that section and a description of what to expect.

I like that idea. Currently the blog is the main page (the entry page into the site) and, when you log in, it jumps you to the forum. Having more of an introductory page is a good idea. I don’t know any way of adapting the script to display live updates of the latest posts in each section.

Maybe leave the side bar but have large tiles (a little like window 8 style…?) that has some details/photos and content that attracts your attention and gives a feel for what the site is about. include links to areas of interest….

That can be done with photos, but not videos. Videos reduce to just the text above/below the video and most of the videos are posted without text descriptions.

can you use a thumbnail of the photo with a link underneath, not quite as elegant but visually would achieve the result…?

I’m not giving other people permission to post, I’ve burnt my fingers far too many times on that one.

What’s the difference with all the other areas we can post?

Forums could be just one link from main page which then breaks up into sections;

The forums is just one link from the main page?

Welcome

General 

• Members

Naked events should be a main tab not under forum, sorry not clear 

Naked Events

• Dares section
                                        • Vote Offs
                                        • Experiments

Is this a layout for the forums or the menus? “Members” and “Articles” are menu options, not forums. Also I have to include “Help” in the forum section.

Help section in the Forum makes sense, there are other things that can be tweaked, but this is as far as my thought process has got to so far…

I put Members in the Gerneral tab to reduce the options but if we can make that area big and valuable enough then have it as its own main tab.

If we have a main tab that is called Naked Events or similar it should be obvious, as an aid the main page could always have a tile that describes what’s in there as part of the ‘this is what we are about vibe’ that we are trying to elaborate/expand on…? I would probably click on Naked Events as my first port of call, but perhaps that’s just me ;o)

I added a “Naked Participation” section as people kept complaining that they couldn’t find it…

Ed likes this

Ed
                                      • Wales, UK
                                      @ed

I’ve made a few minor changes. I began building more of a hub type page for the home page but I can’t find any way of getting the latest posts to appear on a page (the current widget only works on sidebars).

Paul and Matt like this

MissJD
                                        • UK
                                        • Topics: 0
                                        • Comments: 26
                                        • Total: 26
                                        • Experienced Poster
                                        @missjd

The lastest activity is normally where i go to most on here. Side widget or it’s own page doesn’t really matter to me, but definitely be helpful to have it somewhere.

Ed, , Matt and 1 more person like this

Anonymous
                                          • Comments: 136
                                          • Total: 149
                                          • Power Poster

I only ever access from Mobile.

I rarely use the main link. I tend to type the URL to go directly to the community side of the site. Never really pay much attention to the main page.

Like above I tend to scroll to latest activity first and see what’s been going on.  Then I look at the blog section to check out the new videos (sometimes depending on what they are)

Then finally I will go and have a hunt around the forums. I’m probably not the best person to say if it’s too big or not. I treat websites like I treat shopping I know what I want I know where it is. I go there, find it, then Im done.

Anonymous
                                            • Power Poster

Nice change on the latest activity being at the top now!!!!

Ed
                                                • Wales, UK
                                                @ed

Thank you. LOTS of changes happening today. Sorry for any issues that occur while I’m fine-tuning things.

Ed
                                                    • Wales, UK
                                                    @ed

As the new Latest Activity panel is much simpler and shorter than the old one, I’ve left the old one in place anyway.

John
                                                  • Cheshire, England
                                                  • Ace Poster
                                                  • Verified as Male
                                                  @seasider

It works BTW, used that panel to get here.

Ed likes this

Ed
                                                      • Wales, UK
                                                      @ed

Excellent. Does the links panel work too for you?

Anonymous
                                                          • Power Poster

Links are working for me.

Ed likes this

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.