• Author
      Ed
        • Wales, UK
        • Topics: 590
        • Comments: 2559
        • Total: 3149
        • Administrator of NakedExperiment Community
        @ed

Is there any effective way to encourage many more people to upload a photo for their profile?

Ed
          • Wales, UK
          @ed

I’m still having no luck with this one. I’ve tried messaging a couple of people directly too, but that didn’t work either.

One alternative I’ve got is to enabled automatically generated avatars. They’re not very good but maybe that would encourage people to upload their own instead?

Anonymous
            • Topics: 40
            • Comments: 722
            • Total: 762
            • Ace Poster

I expect someone’s suggested this in the past, but how about limiting people to a smaller part of the site until they’ve uploaded an avatar? You’d then have guests, no avatar, avatar, supporters and admin but I don’t know if the system you’re using makes that simple to implement.

What do you think though about people who use an irrelevant avatar (including me at present!). If people could get fuller access by uploading anything at all as an avatar, does that achieve what you want? It demonstrates that the person has bothered having a go. It might say something about their personality. It helps tell people apart. But what if it doesn’t really say anything about the person at all?

Anonymous
              • Topics: 2
              • Comments: 9
              • Total: 11
              • Poster

I’ve uploaded a profile picture. It’s from the 2016 Manchester WNBR. The hat was because it was raining and it kept some of the rain off my glasses.

Ed
                • Wales, UK
                @ed

The CMS I’ve using to run the site doesn’t support limiting anything by avatar. The only way to do that would be manually and I don’t want to commit to the extra workload. I’m not spending enough time here as it is. If more of that time was spend on checking profiles and changing account rights, I’d have even less time available to grow the community.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.