Am I missing something with Skype?

Forums Community & News Miscellaneous and Help Am I missing something with Skype?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Ed.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed
        • Wales, UK
        • Topics: 570
        • Comments: 2405
        • Total: 2975
        • Administrator of NakedExperiment Community
        @ed

As you know, there is an “official” NakedExperiment Skype channel. Quite a few people (probably 3-5 per week) have found our community via Skype, but what I don’t understand is the 2-3 people per day who request permission to contact me (as is standard on Skype) and say “Hi” then, when I reply “Hi” never type another word to me. They are pretty much all male and mostly have avatar photos etc.

This happening occasionally, I could understand, but it’s the vast majority of contact I receive on Skype.

Diana and StripPoker like this

Diana
          • United States
          • Topics: 4
          • Comments: 80
          • Total: 84
          • Experienced Poster
          @enfdiana

I don’t know if you are ‘missing something’ other than the fact that Skype has really much been replaced by programs like discord as a video chat community building resource.

ptHarry and StripPoker like this

ptHarry
          Participant
            • England (London)
            • Topics: 2
            • Comments: 113
            • Total: 115
            • Power Poster
            @patreon_96291032

I’m not a skype user, so I’ve no way of seeing what a user sees when they connect by skype.

But I think the problem may be that if something is thought to be a “chat”, they’re probably expecting to get a reply from a bot within seconds. Or they assume you have a hundred staff and one of them will answer within a minute. If they still don’t get a reply after that, they assume it’s out of order and don’t bother to come back later.

Anyway, just wondering: have you tried asking them a quick question instead of just saying Hi ? At least then if they do eventually come back later, they may choose to reply with something more than just another Hi.

Diana likes this

Ed
              • Wales, UK
              • Topics: 570
              • Comments: 2405
              • Total: 2975
              • Administrator of NakedExperiment Community
              @ed

Skype has been particularly effective this week. It’s attracted 4 people to the community. I just hope most of them decide to stick around.

Dutch Penn and ptHarry like this

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.