Looks like I missed this year’s WNBR!

Forums Community & News Miscellaneous and Help Looks like I missed this year’s WNBR!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed
        • Wales, UK
        • Topics: 588
        • Comments: 2527
        • Total: 3115
        • Administrator of NakedExperiment Community
        @ed

Turns out the official page for it:

https://wiki.worldnakedbikeride.org/index.php?title=Cardiff

Hasn’t been updated in a while but the event happened anyway. I check it at least once per week but where is the 2021 event listed?

This year I was available and have a new video camera, but didn’t know the event was on. 🙁

David
          • UK
          • Topics: 1
          • Comments: 76
          • Total: 77
          • Experienced Poster
          • Verified as Male
          @ibi2004

Cardiff had been promoting it for the last month. They were calling for more stewards for the last fortnight.

Ed
              • Wales, UK
              @ed

I follow them on Twitter and I check their website almost every weekend. I didn’t hear a thing. Where were they calling for stewards?

David
                  • UK
                  • Experienced Poster
                  • Verified as Male
                  @ibi2004

From 19th June.

Ed
                    • Wales, UK
                    @ed

Not when – where??

They STILL haven’t updated their official page.

David
                      • UK
                      • Experienced Poster
                      • Verified as Male
                      @ibi2004

I’m guessing you are talking about the worldnakedbikeride.org website. If so, not the place to go, FB best for British rides, it was in various South Wales newspapers the week before.

Ed
                        • Wales, UK
                        @ed

I don’t have a Facebook account anymore, so that’s a non-starter. I’m guessing hardly anyone here is on Facebook either as I’ve been asking for at least 4 years now for everyone to post naked events they know about here in the forums. I know a few of the regulars are from South Wales.

Why do they have an official site if they don’t use it? It can’t be just me that thinks that’s weird.

David
                      • UK
                      • Experienced Poster
                      • Verified as Male
                      @ibi2004

The website isn’t an official site for any ride, it’s the English speaking umbrella site for the world. There are other sites for other languages. Eg ciclonudista.

The umbrella website does not tell each individual ride what to do and vice versa.

Each individual ride is run by volunteers and it’s up to them how they promote it, many don’t let the umbrella site know, because they have other jobs to do like making sure the ride is safe, complying with local rules, publicising the event and having a good working relationship with the police.

It needs to be pointed most rides want people to participate and don’t want people turning up to just take photos. In fact some rides frown upon it so much they cordon off the start and finish. I must admit it’s very disconcerting, threatening and intimidating when you start to strip off and you have camera lenses pointing at you without the slightest bit of a hello or asking is it okay to take a photo.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by David.

Ed
                          • Wales, UK
                          @ed

I would have happily promoted the Cardiff ride here had I known about it. I joined (what I thought was) the Cardiff WNBR’s official mailing list on Twitter a few years ago, but I’m guessing that wasn’t official either. I follow six different Cardiff WNBR feeds on Twitter but I obviously haven’t found the real one.

David
                              • UK
                              • Experienced Poster
                              • Verified as Male
                              @ibi2004

There is no such thing as ‘official’ with Wnbr, it’s volunteers running them and they ebb and flow into the city meaning sometimes and in some years there is no-one to run accounts or no-one has access to some accounts anymore.

If you participate you’re more likely to be aware as you’ll be a member of local pressure groups like XR, critical mass or the campaign to save Maindy velodrome, if you are just going to take photos, you’re less likely to be kept in the loop.

The Facebook group admins at the moment aren’t letting many in because they are worried people are only joining to get photos rather than wanting to participate.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by David.

Ed likes this

Ed
                            • Wales, UK
                            @ed

In all the videos and photos, there are people lining the route taking photos. It’s a challenge to have an event designed to achieve maximum publicity and not have a large portion of the audience there just to take photos.

I can promote the event without photos but that’s only going to be a fraction as effective.

Don’t worry about it. I’ll just drop the whole idea. If it’s already getting plenty of coverage and press recognition which I’m just not catching, then I’ll leave them to it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.